Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Uncle Sam's Cash Back, Apple Goodness, Promos and Some Cheesy Dividends

Our household recently received our State and Federal tax refunds.

After spending $1000 to help pay down my wife's car payment, we decided to split the remaining cash equally between the two of us.  Then my wife asked me: "What would you buy with your share of the refund? An iPad?"  I answered: "I'll buy more mutual funds for my Roth IRA and some stock for our taxable investment account."

She smiled.

For the past four years, I have used my tax refunds to invest in my Roth IRA.  I figured, why spend money and pay more taxes (sales tax) when I can just make more "tax free" money in my Roth IRA?  The answer is a no-brainer.  Reinvesting my tax refunds in my Roth made me more money and gave me more satisfaction compared to whatever gadget I would have bought.  I love making (easy) awesome decisions.

So what did I buy with the money?  I checked our portfolio and checked which stock had the closest Ex-Dividend date.  It turns out Kraft (KFT) would have their ex-dividend date on March 28, 2012 (next Wednesday).  I then transferred money to the account and set-up the Automatic Investment Plan for Tuesday, March 27, 2012.  This should be enough time for me to get the stock before the ex-dividend date and be eligible for the dividend.

Here is a breakdown of my transaction:
1. I transferred $350 to the account (the rest of the money will go to my ROTH).
2. I set-up the automatic investment plan.
3. I'll buy $350 worth of KFT shares - Potentially 9.1217 shares @$38.37 (as of 9:47am today).
4. There is no fee this time due to a promo (Thanks!)
5. I'll potentially own 11.6310 shares of KFT.
6. KFT currently pays a $0.29/share dividend - $3.37299 potential payout.

Thanks to Kraft, I'll have a nice and "cheesy" dividend. LOL

In other news, last Monday, Apple announced that they would pay a 1.8% dividend ($2.65/share quarterly, $10.60/share annually) to its investors.  Apple will also spend $10 billion to do a stock buyback.  This will reduce the number of stocks outstanding which would mean every remaining investor would own more of the company.  This obviously is good news for me.

The dividend payout would allow "value-oriented" mutual funds to invest in Apple.  In my opinion, this is both good and bad news.  The good news is that Apple would be exposed to more mutual funds and the bad news is that this opens Apple to more volatility as mutual funds' dollars goes in and out of Apple depending on how the stock and the market performed on a given day.  This also makes diversification a bit tougher as I expect a flood of new mutual fund investors.  I suggest checking your mutual funds' holdings and try to be as diverse as possible.

The dividend is a welcome bonus for me as an investor.  Although the dividend yield is not as huge as HP, Microsoft and the others but the growth rate and performance of Apple more than makes up for the comparatively "small" dividend.  Besides, I'm more bullish of Apple than HP.

Tempting as it is to get more Apple stock, I'll keep my emotions in check and keep our portfolio as balanced as possible.  We still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment