Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Automatic Investment Plan Results, Sector Risks and Cash Reserves

This is an update of the Automatic Investment Plan I executed last week.
 
My $434 bought 14.4152 MDLZ shares @ $30.11/share.
 
We now own 26.2504 MDLZ shares.   I expect to be paid $3.412552 in dividends (@$0.13/share).
 
With our new MDLZ total, our top five holdings are as follows:
 
1. AAPL  17.91%
2. GLD    14.26%
3. MDLZ 14.05%
4. LULU  13.92%
5. MO      11.48%
 
With this update, our portfolio's sector exposure has changed.  Before, the Computer and Technology sector was the bulk of our sector exposure due to Apple's meteoric rise in value which concerned me especially during the months when Tech was hated in Wall Street.  It took some time (and Apple's decline) but we were able to balance out our sector risks.  So now, the Consumer Staples Sector (29.28%) took the lead from the Computer and Tech Sector (24.10%).  I am still not satisfied and I think I need to bump up the rest of my sector exposures (Business Services 8.36%, Oil & Energy 10.17% and Retail Stores 13.82%).  My goal is to put each sector at 20% value of our portfolio which would make our portfolio's exposure risk as divers as possible. 
 
Why am I so focused with sectors?  Because Sector performance/sentiment pretty much affects about 50% of each stock's performance.  Going back to my original concern,  the Tech sector was pretty much hated by Wall Street in the summer months of 2012.  My XLNX position pretty much suffered while Apple held on to it's values for as long as it could.  It can get frustrating seeing XLNX pretty lose value or at best, stay the same while my Consumer Staple stocks (MO, KRFT & MDLZ) have carried our portfolio during those tough months.  Knowing how this affects stock prices, I am convinced that diversifying our Sector risk would be good for our portfolio.
 
In other news, I need to rebuild our cash position.  I should see opportunities to do so in my next few paychecks.  Now the question would be whether or not to buy more XLNX with an upcoming Ex-Dividend Date of 05/13/2013 or get some more WM to bump up our Business Sector position. 
 
We'll see.  We have until May 9, 2013 to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment