Friday, November 4, 2011

New Stock Purchases... And It's NOT Groupon (GRPN)

I got some spare change around $300.  So I decided to put it in our Investment fund.  I'm almost done with my ROTH $5,000 limit so now, it's time to double down on our stocks.

Here are my picks for next Tuesday's trading day (via Automatic Investment Plan - lower fees): prices as of 11/042011 at 9:48 am

GLD = $200 - $4 (fee) = $196.00/$170.53 = 1.1494 shares
WM = $100 - $4 (fee) = $96.00/$31.31     = 3.0661 shares.

The Market in general has been a roller coaster these past few weeks.  Europe still has the Greek debt issues while the US Unemployment rate went down a bit. So you can imagine how some days the market is down and some day it's up.  Here's my view, whatever short term news/events that affect the markets in the near future should not affect how I view my investments (unless, these events are specifically about my portfolio positions).  In fact, the more the Markets put fear into the masses, the more I should invest (after due diligence of course).

So why GLD and WM?  Well GLD is easy.  It is a Gold ETF that would serve as my hedge against inflation and government catastrophes that can weaken the dollar or the US's credit rating.  I want more share of GLD to help shore up my portfolio.  WM on the other hand is a waste disposal play that I believe would be busy in the upcoming holiday season.  It would haul millions of pounds of trash and perhaps even clean up after snow storms and other weather-related events.  Plus, they just paid their dividend in Sept 2011 so I expect the next dividend date to be in December.  So I'm putting in more shares to get that juicy dividend.

All in all, I'm just balancing my portfolio and building up my positions so that I can eventually sell shares to recoup my initial investment and play with the house's money (pure profit play).

No comments:

Post a Comment